Dog’s metabolic system is different with human and other animals metabolic system. Some foods that are commonly consumed by human and other animals, could be harmful for our beloved dogs. Such food might cause only digestive disorders. However, there are many kind of foods that cause severe illness and even death.
We have to know which foods are allowed or dissalowed to be given for our dogs because there are many common foods for human dangerous for dogs. Here are a list of common foods that should not be eaten by the dogs:
1. Avocado‘s leave, seed, pulp, and rind contains persin, a substance which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
2. Grapes and raisins contain a type of toxin that can cause kidney damage
3. Persimmon fruit seeds can cause a disorder of stomach and digestive function.
4. Macadamia nuts contain a kind of toxin that can affect the digestive system, nervous systems, or the muscle disorder.
1. Alcoholic Beverages cause intoxication, coma, or even death.
2. Chocolate, coffee, tea and food/beverages that contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline may cause vomiting and diarrhea, as well as liver toxicity and nervous system.
3. Milk and other dairy products Some dogs were reported to have diarrhea after eating/drinking dairy products in large quantities.
Drugs, Vitamins, Oil & Other substances
1. Marijuana and other narcotics types weaken the nervous system, causing vomiting, and changes in heart rate
2. Artificial sweeteners can cause blood sugar levels decrease dramatically (hypoglycemia), which can lead to vomiting, and fainting weakened body. In high doses can cause liver failure.
3. Iron that contained in vitamin/supplements for humans can damage the digestive system and also dangerous for liver and kidney.
4. Tobacco contains nicotine which affects the digestive and nervous systems, resulting in too rapid heartbeat, fainting, coma, and even lead to death.
5. Citrus oil extract may cause vomiting
6. Salt if eaten in large quantities can cause electrolyte imbalance.
1. Raw, canned, or processed fish, if it is eaten excessively, can cause a deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B) which in turn causes loss of appetite, seizures and, in severe cases, can lead to death
2. Cat foods contain protein and fat that are excessive for dogs.
3. Fish bones and chicken bones lead to clogged or injury the digestive system.
4. Foods that are stale or moldy contains various types of toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other illness.
5. Mushrooms contain toxins that can affect multiple body systems, causing trauma, and can lead to fatal.
6. Onions and garlic contain sulfoxide and disulfide which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia.
7. Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin that can reduce the absorption of biotin (vitamin B), thus causing skin problems and hair. Raw eggs can contain Salmonella bacteria which are dangerous for human and animals.
8. Unclean raw meat can contain bacteria Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
As much as possible we should give our dogs BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food). Dogs are natural carnivora (meat-eating animals). So, raw meat is the best food for dogs. But, we have to make sure that the raw meat must be cleaned from any bacteria.
9. Foods that contain lots of sugar can cause obesity, tooth decay, and the risk of diabetes mellitus illness.
There are many other foods consumed that shouldn’t be consumed by dogs. Therefore, we should frequently consult a veterinarian which foods are allowed for dogs.