There are several cases of cough in dogs with quite often frequencies and it looks like they will spew something. This type of dog’s cough is usually caused by of what is called tracheal collapse. Tracheal serves the airway to the lungs. Tracheal rings composed of cartilage and covered with soft muscle tissues (fibrous tissues). Tracheal Collapse is characterized by narrowing of the airway aperture because of the weakness of the tracheal. Tracheal collapse often occurs in small breeds of dogs such as Shih Tzu, Maltese, Pug Pomeranian, Chihuahua, Toy Poodle, and Yorkshire Terrier. Sometimes, it could also occur in a fat dog aged 6 to 7 years or more.
Tracheal Collapse can be caused by congenital tracheal collapse and disease. Congenital tracheal collapse can be caused by deficiencies on glycosaminoglycans, glycoproteins, calcium, and chondroitin. While disease may be caused by Cushing’s syndrome, heart disease, and respiratory infections.
The symptoms of tracheal collapse include frequent cough/asthma, panting and breath like snoring, tongue stretched out more often, restless, and pacing back and forth. These symptoms can be aggravated in hot weather, excitement, obesity, and anesthetic drugs influence. Thus, dogs suffered tracheal collapse is prohibited to use additional anesthetic drugs because it is too risky.
Tracheal collapse can be detected using X-rays Radiograph and fluoroscopy. Blood checks has to be done to detect whether there is a respiratory infection or not.
Ways to handle tracheal Collapse include:
- Use sedative drugs such as Acepromazine or Diazepam to heal Asphyxiate sickness
- Supply oxygen to the lungs, pair oxygen into the nose when the dog calm
- Do regularly newbulizer (steam) until the dogs have a stable breathing.
- Such drugs that can be use to heal inflammation is Prednisone, while Aminophylline/Theophylline can be used for broncodilatator and Cephalosporin/Doxycycline can be used for antibiotics to heal bacterial infection in the respiratory.
Beware of the possibilities of factors trigger to the repeated occurrence of tracheal collapse such as excessive activities, excitement, and fatness. Avoid too hot environment to reduce the trigger factor. When there are indications of tracheal rings paralysis, it should be considered for surgery. It is a risky action so that you have to discuss with your veterinarian first before surgical decision.
Incoming search terms:
- asthma in pugs trachea collapse